History of the Church
The church of St. Augustine, Rush Green, originated in 1946 as a mission of St. Andrew, Romford.
In 1948 a hut was erected at the corner of Birkbeck Road and Rush Green Road and in 1953 a conventional district was formed. A dual-purpose church was built in 1958 with the Hall being added in 1965.
A separate parish, taken from the parishes of St. Andrew, Romford, St. Peter and St. Paul, Dagenham and Holy Cross, Hornchurch, was formed in 1969. The advowson of the vicarage was vested in the bishop of Chelmsford.
In March 1993 there was a fire at St Augustine’s Church. As reported in the Romford Recorder on March 19th 1993.
Since the fire, the church has been repaired and renovated to it’s current look with Father Martin now in the position of Parish Priest.